Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cruise Part 4

Florence!






We started off with seeing the view of the city, Firenze. :) Beautiful & Huge are the words I would use to describe it. I was very glad too that we got to see a copy-cat of The David because when we went to the museum to see him, we couldn't take a picture.
























We started walking down this little street and in the distance you could see the Duomo. Did you know that the Duomo is made of over 770,000 tons of marble?! well it is. The detail on it was incredible -- and to think, it was all carved by hand tools. We also got to see The Doors To Paradise. Well...apparently they are replica's, but that's ok because they fooled me!


















 
 










(look at the detail on the one below)















We also got to see the oldest bridge still standing and in use, the Ponte Vecchio. We also saw a bunch of statues of famous people, and also ones that moved!






















We had lunch at a charming little restaurant where one of the waiters was pretty attractive :) and im pretty sure he thought so too cuz he kept smiling at me -- unfortunately my mom walked out ahead of me or I would have gotten a picture with him (dang!)




We went to one of the leather factories and bought some Italian leather!




(wanna story???)So I am in Italy and I really want some pizza (can you blame a girl?) So after lunch I asked our tour guide if I could grab some pizza before we left and just eat it on the bus -- he told me "no." So I asked when we would have a little free time so I could buy some -- he looked at me (again...weird) and I could just see the thought bubble "What is with this this crazy American girl??? We just had lunch." He was puzzled as to why I wanted pizza after we had just had a gourmet lunch. Um...I'm in Italy! Hello! So after the leather factory I got me some pizza! We walked across the square to The Bar and ordered an 6" pizza. I asked my mom if she would take a picture of the guy handing me my Italian pizza and she asked the worker if it was ok that she took a picture, and the owner says, "Oh no no no!" comes over, grabs me by the arm, and takes me behind the counter for the picture! There were...7-10 people in the restaurant and I start hearing all these...catcalls! So there I am: this little American girl, red hair, bright springy dress, standing next to this Italian man, with a pizza in hand, smiling for this picture that my mom is taking and is understanding all the comments these men are making, and what I am I doing -- oblivious to what is being said (but can only imagine!)...smiling. :) 


And yes...the pizza was delicious. :)


















We got to go inside the San Croce, which was pretty cool. And saw some monks as well. 







That night, after dinner, we met up with Tony and Cecelia to go to one of the shows: The Beatle Mania's. Ah! What a fun concert! They looked just like the actual Beatles and the songs were awesome & the 4 of us really did have so much fun together! We just love them. :) 















are you ready for some France next? good!



2 comments:

Jill Britt said...

Florence was my favorite Italian city. We stayed in a hotel very close to the Duomo. In fact when we were trying to stop people to ask where our hotel was, people just kept saying oh it's right next to the duomo. We had no clue what on earth they were talking about and didn't know what a duomo was! I'm loving all of your stories! I really wish we were there with ya'll so there definitely will need to be a next time!

Shahny said...

Ahhhh this looks like so much fun. Ur making me want to go again, but to Europe this time!! lol