Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The New Knee

Most of you know that my mom's poor knee has about had it. Ever since she was about 12, her knee has given her problems and has popped in and out of place. She has had surgery on it once before, but to her dismay...it was time for her to get a new one.

It was September when she first called to make the doctor appointment, and it wasn't until December when the next available date was open. Once she got in to see Dr. Rosenberg, there was only one option -- a new knee. Apparently my mom's was one of the worst they had seen in quite some time. It was so bad that she had worn away part of the bone and was actually shorter on one side.

We had to wait another 2 and 1/2 months to get her into surgery.

I am pleased to say that she is doing very well. The new knee is in, and so far she is feeling no pain. The surgery did not take as long as anticipated, however there was more damage than they thought. She was coherent and drinking some liquids this afternoon.

I will try to keep daily updates going -- and I apologize (especially to my family) if I have not called you yet. If you have any questions would like updates, feel free to call my cell phone. My mom has hers with her too if you would like to call and leave messages (she also loves receiving texts if you are able to do so :)



**P.S. I should note that about 3 days ago we were running errands and working around the house. Our conversation went like this:

"Gee Annie (that is her nick name for me), my knee doesn't even hurt today! Maybe I don't need this surgery after all!!"

"Oh mother....don't even start."

2 comments:

Jill Britt said...

I just asked Nathan yesterday when your mom's surgery was supposed to be, but neither of us could remember! Glad to hear it went well and sorry that I did not remember before so I could've wished her well! We love ya'll both!

Liz said...

I hope she's doing better. She's lucky to have you taking care of her. :-)