Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Red-head who?

Have you ever experience being ignored?
outcast?
Seen right through?
Backs turned on you?
Ever experience this feeling?

I did. A few weeks ago, and it really hurt.
3 people out of maybe 20 or more said hi to me .
3.
And these are people that I knew.

I finally realized that I didn't need to hang on to the past. I am one that if you become even an acquaintance, I want you to feel like a friend. If you cross my mind, I want you to know, if there is a get together goin on, I want to invite you. I never like to close channels with people. I always want people to remember me as someone who is approachable, kind, and genuine. I want to be able to see people at the store and genuinely say, "Hey ______! How are you {hug} I haven't seen you in so long!" And carry on a conversation at WalMart.

When I was in high school I was in student government. It was expected of us to be kind and befriend everyone. (For me it was really more of an excuse to talk to everyone. What can I say? I love it!) I never deleted people off of my Facebook or Myspace (when Myspace was the "cool" thing) because I never wanted people to think I was snobby, or better than them, or had forgotten about them, etc. So there they stayed. Able to look at pictures, posts of my life whenever they chose.

I have been graduated for 3 years now.
I finally decided that high school is far enough in the past that I don't need to carry that weight of having to be a "friend" because of the position I once occupied.
I finally decided that if I can't even be waved at from across the cluster of people, or when I catch them looking at me and when I turn to look in that direction, they hurry and turn their head like they are oblivious to my existence -- what makes me think they would notice me at a place like WalMart?
Why would I want them to be able to know what is going on in my life?
I finally decided that it is ok to let go of some people that are "friend collectors."

It is about time I did some "house cleaning" and "de-cluttering" in my life.
And I will have you know, I have cleaned up quite a bit. :)

2 comments:

Natasha said...

You're such a sweetheart and I love the texts that I get from you just to say hi. You're such a good person and I am so glad to have you as my friend and an example to me :)

Brian and Kim said...

I can't imagine ANYONE ignoring you! You are one of the most kind people I know. Even though I am a dork:), you treat me like a buddy. You are amazing and I am so so grateful to get to be your friend!