Sunday, July 10, 2011

Daughter

Around my building where I work, I have kinda been adopted as everyone's daughter.
I have mentioned before about my Papa Archie, who I truly do consider a father figure.
Oh man I love that guy.

I have this other member that comes in frequently.He is a retiree. He came in one day and we had a heart to heart. He was telling me about his niece that he is very close with and how her husband isn't that great of a guy and now she is kinda..."stuck in a rut" with money because of him but has no way of really supporting herself or a family because of her lack of education. As he was telling me this story (I gave you the watered down version) he is telling me the importance of education, making sure that I don't give up my education just because I get married and can be a stay at home mom. "You never know what can happen," he says. Lucky for him, I have wanted to go to college since I was in Kindergarten, and I have a rockstar of a mom who showed, through example, the importance of education. As he is continuing the discussion of the value of women and education he says to me, "Now, I'm telling you this because you are like a daughter to me..." Thanks Bob. :)

Another incidence happened just before the 4th of July. A member called that I know very well; as I am doing a little research for him, he tells me about his two sons and their friend going on vacation to Vegas. The friend was in the hospital because of a car accident and wasn't going to make it (obviously). The paramedics told him that if he hadn't been wearing his seat belt, he most likely would not have been here today. Then my member says, "I always tell my boys 'Buckle up! Buckle up!' And you are like a daughter to me, so I'm gonna tell you...'Buckle up!'" Thanks Todd. :)

I love my members. I love where I work because they do take care of me. They ask about school, and if I did well on my math test. They ask about my weekend and how my mom is back home. They let me know about free entertainment going on around the area because they know I am a poor college student. They will share half their subway sandwiches at lunch, or leftovers from the night before. They give me Jazz tickets, Raptors (baseball) tickets, pedicure gift certificates when they aren't able to use them. Fresh squash, and jerky from their garden and from their latest hunting experience. And they love, tease, and give me a hard time as if we were really a family. I am very grateful for my little family I have been so welcomed and adopted into. I hope they all know that I love them here. I hope they all know that they are all my daddy-o's in some way. Bless them. They are all such good, kindhearted men.

No comments: